On Sat, Oct 04, 2008 at 10:37:26PM -0700, Chris Greer wrote:

> So I tried this experiment this week...
> On each host (OpenSolaris 2008.05), I created an 8GB ramdisk with ramdiskadm.
>  I shared this ramdisk on each host via the iscsi target and initiator over a
> 1GB crossconnect cable (jumbo frames enabled).  I added these as mirrored
> slog devices in a zpool.

Very interesting.  This also gives me an idea.  Using COMSTAR you could
build any number of RAM based slog devices.  They wouldn't need to be
anything amazing, just a bunch of RAM and a supported FC card (or two).

> I'm not sure I could survive a crash of both nodes, going to try and test
> some more.

Ok, so taking my idea above, maybe a pair of 15K SAS disks in those
boxes so that you could create a backing store.  I wonder what the best
way to setup realtime sync would be (without making the backing store
responsible for slowing down the ramdisk, so no zfs mirroring between
rmadisk and sas disk in other words).

> So is this idea completely crazy?

I don't think so, no. ;)

-brian
--
"Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta
tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of