On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, Tim wrote:

> ZFS is licensed under the CDDL, and as far as I know does not require
> derivative works to be open source.  It's truly free like the BSD license in

It doesn't, but changes made to CDDL-licensed files must be released
(under the CDDL).

> that companies can take CDDL code, modify it, and keep the content closed.

Nope.  Others can take CDDL code, develop new code (in other source
files), and keep the new code secret, but they must publish the
source code to any changes they make to CDDL-ed files.

> They are not forced to share their code.  That's why there are "closed"
> patches that go into mainline Solaris, but are not part of OpenSolaris.

The closed code will be in separate files to those covered by the CDDL.

--
Rich Teer, SCSA, SCNA, SCSECA

CEO,
My Online Home Inventory