Am .. first of all its depends on how many hard disks you have and also on how
much is the importance and the necessity of these data . for my system I used 2
hard disk ( 160 GB each ) , first one has three pools one for the system it
self and one for my documents, books and all my work files . and the last one
is for my songs and movies, if you see even if one these pools get corrupted or
even the system is crashed in way or another I can retrieve the rest unless you
have a mirror disk which is different case , you can get your stuff back .. the
next hard disk contain only two main pools which is only for my virtual
machines images files , I kept all the machines which I used frequently in the
first pool for speed access , and even more for the first one I always keep the
media pool ( songs and movies ) off line and when I need it I attach it .. I
also found this which is talk about pool performance considerations
http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Best_Practices_Guide#Storage_Pool_Performance_Considerations

I hope this helps you a bit .