You may need an add-on SATA card. I haven't come across any 8 port motherboards.

As far as chipsets are concerned, take a look at something with the
Intel X38 chipset. It's the only one of the desktop chipsets that
supports ECC ram. Coincidentally, it's also the chipset used in the
Sun Ultra 24 workstation
(http://www.sun.com/desktop/workstation/ultra24/index.xml).