Tano wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is a problem with the iscsitarget or zfs. I'd greatly
> appreciate it if it gets moved to the proper list.
>
> Well I'm just about out of ideas on what might be wrong..
>
> Quick history:
>
> I installed OS 2008.05 when it was SNV_86 to try out ZFS with VMWare. Found
> out that multilun's were being treated as multipaths so waited till SNV_94
> came out to fix the issues with VMWARE and iscsitadm/zfs shareiscsi=on.
>
> I Installed OS2008.05 on a virtual machine as a test bed, pkg image-update to
> SNV_94 a month ago, made some thin provisioned partitions, shared them with
> iscsitadm and mounted on VMWare without any problems. Ran storage VMotion and
> all went well.
>
> So with this success I purchased a Dell 1900 with a PERC 5/i controller 6 x
> 15K SAS DRIVEs with ZFS RAIDZ1 configuration. I shared the zfs partitions and
> mounted them on VMWare. Everything is great till I have to write to the disks.
>
> It won't write!

What's the error exactly?
What step are you performing to get the error? Creating the vmfs3
filesystem? Accessing the mountpoint?

> Steps I took creating the disks
>
> 1) Installed mega_sas drivers.
> 2) zpool create tank raidz c5t0d0 c5t1d0 c5t2d0 c5t3d0 c5t4d0 c5t5d0
> 3) zfs create -V 1TB tank/disk1
> 4) zfs create -V 1TB tank/disk2
> 5) iscsitadm create target -b /dev/zvol/rdsk/tank/disk1 LABEL1
> 6) iscsitadm create target -b /dev/zvol/rdsk/tank/disk2 LABEL2
>
> Now both drives are lun 0 but with uniqu VMHBA device identifiers. SO they
> are detected as seperate drives.
>
> I then redid (deleted) step 5 and 6 and changed it too
>
> 5) iscsitadm create target -u 0 -b /dev/zvol/rdsk/tank/disk1 LABEL1
> 6) iscsitadm create target -u 1 -b /dev/zvol/rdsk/tank/disk2 LABEL1
>
> VMWARE discovers the seperate LUNs on the Device identifier, but still unable
> to write to the iscsi luns.
>
> Why is it that the steps I've conducted in SNV_94 work but in SNV_97,98, or
> 99 don't.
>
> Any ideas?? any log files I can check? I am still an ignorant linux user so I
> only know to look in /var/log :)

The relevant errors from /var/log/vmkernel on the ESX server would be
helpful.

Also, iscsitadm list target -v

Also, I blogged a bit on OpenSolaris iSCSI & VMware ESX ....I was using
b98 on a X4500.

http://blogs.sun.com/rarneson/entry/zfs_clones_iscsi_and_vmware

> --

Ryan Arneson