On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Bob Friesenhahn
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Al Hopper wrote:
>>
>> a) inexpensive, large capacity SATA drives running at 7,200 RPM and
>> providing, approximately, 300 IOPS.
>> b) expensive, small capacity, SAS drives running at 15k RPM and
>> providing, approx, 700 IOPS.
>
> Al,
>
> Where are you getting the above IOPS estimates from?  They seem to be
> inflated (by at least a factor of three) from any per-drive IOPS numbers I
> have seen mentioned elsewhere and from my own measurements.

These are my personal #s that I work to - and they are inflated
because, in *my* real-world experience, where there is some degree of
successful caching, this is what I mostly see.  Please feel entirely
free to substitute your own numbers.  I should have included a
disclaimer requesting the reader to substitute his/her own (observed)
IOPS drive numbers.

Happy Friday Bob!

--
Al Hopper  Logical Approach Inc,Plano,TX [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                   Voice: 972.379.2133 Timezone: US CDT