Ian Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Marcus Sundman wrote:
> > Are these I/O errors written to stdout or stderr or where?
>
> Yes, stderr.

OK, good, thanks.

> You will not be able top open the file.

What?! Even if there are errors I want to still be able to read the
file to salvage what can be salvaged. E.g., if one byte in a picture
file is wrong then it's quite likely I can still use the picture. If
ZFS denies access to the whole file, or even to the whole block with
the error, then the whole file is ruined. That's very bad. Are you sure
there is no way to read the file anyway?

> One of the great benefits of ZFS is you don't have to manually verify
> checksums of files on disk. Unless you want to make sure they haven't
> been maliciously altered that is.

Malicious alteration is not the only way for unwanted changes to a disk.

Cheers,

Marcus