Ethan,

It is still not possible to remove a slog from a pool. This is bug:

6574286 removing a slog doesn't work

The error message:

"cannot remove c4t15d0p0: only inactive hot spares or cache devices can be
removed"

is correct and this is the same as documented in the zpool man page:

     zpool remove pool device ...

         Removes the specified device from the pool. This command
         currently  only  supports  removing hot spares and cache
         devices.

It's actually relatively easy to implement removal of slogs. We simply flush the
outstanding transactions and start using the main pool for the Intent Logs.
Thus the vacated device can be removed.
However, we wanted to make sure it fit into the framework for
the removal of any device. This a much harder problem which we
have made progress, but it's not there yet...

Neil.