Hi Graham,

(this message was posed on opensolaris-bugs initially, I am CC'ing and
reply-to'ing zfs-discuss as it seems to be a more appropriate place to discuss
this.)

> I'm surprised to see that the status of bug 6592835 hasn't moved beyond "yes
> that's a problem".

My understanding is that the resilver speed is tied to fact that the currenct
resilver implementation follows the ZFS on disk structures, which needs
random-like I/O operations while a traditional RAID rebuild issues sequential
I/O only. Simply put, the former is very slow while the latter is very fast
with
respect to the amounts of data having to be touched.

IIRC, this issue has been discussed on zfs-discuss several times already and my
understanding it that it would be very difficult to implement some kind of
"sequential resilver" (walking disk blocks sequentially rather than ZFS on disk
structures), so I doubt if an improvement can be expected anytime soon.

That said, the core developers on zfs-discuss will know more than me and might
be willing to give more background on this.

Nils