On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Morten-Christian Bernson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I have been reading this forum for a little while, and am interested in more
> information about the performance of ZFS when creating large amounts of
> filesystems.   We are considering using ZFS for the user's home folders, and
> this could potentially be 30'000 filesystems, and if using snapshots that
> number would be multiplied by x snapshots as well.
>
> I am a bit nervous after reading this forum, that the performance when
> getting huge numbers of filesystems is not very good.  Using hours to boot
> the server, and possibly weeks to make the filesystems seems "not right".

You'll have to solve this issue by using multiple ZFS servers so that
the number of filesystems per server is a reasonably good fit with
ZFS' current capabilities.  OTOH  ZFS is improving in this arena over
time and, even with multiple servers, ZFS will still provide a cost
effective solution.   In any case, with 5 ZFS servers, would it not be
better to have only 20% of your user community affected if a server
were to have a catastrophic failure?  (rhetorical question)

> Any official input on how this will be in the upcoming release of Solaris 10?

You won't get any "official" input on Solaris (the commercial product)
related topics on this list - which is dedicated to OpenSolaris.  But,
to give you something that resembles an answer, Sol10 Update 6 is
based on Build 88 AFAIR.  So looking at the features/performance of
that release will give you a good feel for Sol 10U6 .. the usual
disclaimers YMMV etc.

Regards,

--
Al Hopper  Logical Approach Inc,Plano,TX [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                   Voice: 972.379.2133 Timezone: US CDT