> >   2.2 do a receive of an earlier zfs send, to
> either a snapshot or a "child" filesystem, and be
> efficient about disk space used. ie: have the recieve
> understand, "hey, I have that file already,
> completely intact, so I'm not going to waste space by
> storing it again".

ZFS already does this.  You wouldn't send the entire snapshot again, you would
just do an incremental send, of the changes between one snapshot and the next.

Of course, you're still asking for problems if you're trying to receive
snapshots on a live system.  Yes, you could clone a previous snapshot and make
that live, allowing you to receive later 'backups'.  But unless you make it a
read only system you're going to have an almighty problem working out what has
or has not changed between those two systems.

Basically, ZFS will happily keep track of the changes on your filesystem so you
can send it to a remote backup, but as soon as you have both systems live, you
have to track all the changes and keep them in sync yourself.

If this is what you really need to do, you might be better with AVS or some
kind of distributed file system.