The compress on-write behavior is what I expected, but I wanted to validate
that for sure.  Thank you.

On the 2nd question, the obvious answer is that  I'm doing work where knowing
how large the total file sizes tells me how much work has been completed, and I
don't have any other feedback which tells me how far along a job is.  When it's
a directory of 100+ files,  or a whole tree with hundreds of files, it's not
convenient to add the file sizes up to get the answer.  I could write a perl
script.... but it honestly should a be built-in command.