On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 13:38:53 -0600
"Al Hopper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  So I guess I've been lucky also
> - but IMHO the failure rate for RAM these days is pretty small[1].
> I've also been around hundreds of SPARC boxes and, again, very, few
> RAM failures (one is all that I can remember).
>
> Risk management is exactly that.  You have to determine where the risk
> is and how important it is and how likely it is to bite.  And then
> allocate costs from your budget to minimize that risk.

So I guess, I do have to go for ECC ram when I build a new server.
I also understood that like you wrote "The P45 based boards are a
no-brainer" Intel MoBo's are a no-go when you want ECC ram -and- want
it a little cheap.

So, what -is- a really good MB that supports ECC ram (min.8MB) and what
processor is recommended?

--
Dick Hoogendijk -- PGP/GnuPG key: 01D2433D
+ http://nagual.nl/ | SunOS sxce snv101 ++