On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 4:55 PM, James C. McPherson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 06:13:51 -0800 (PST)
> Ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I'd also like to know how easy it is to identify drives when you use
> > this card?  Is it easy to know which is which after you've had a few
> > failure & swapped drives around?
>
> Hi Ross,
> in general, it's just as easy to identify drives attached to
> this card as it is to identify drives attached to any other
> card.
>
> The output from 'iostat -En' will help, along with careful
> observation of the drive's serial number and devid. You can
> find the devid (which, last I checked, is guaranteed to be
> unique) by looking for the "devid" property associated with
> your specific device.
>

>                  :name  pci1000,3150
>                     sd (block, de00000463)
>                      :compatible       (de00000482TBL)
>                       | scsiclass,00.vATA.pST3320620AS.rD |
>                       | scsiclass,00.vATA.pST3320620AS |
>                       | scsa,00.bmpt |
>                       | scsiclass,00 |
>                       | scsiclass |
>                      :sas-mpt
>                      :pm-capable        0x1
>                      :inquiry-vendor-id         ST3320620AS
>                      :inquiry-revision-id       3.AAD
>                      :inquiry-device-type       0
>                      :inquiry-product-id        ST3320620AS
>                      :devid
>
>  id1,[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>                      :class     scsi
>                      :target    0
>                      :lun       0
>                      :device-blksize    0x200
>                      :fm-ereport-capable
>                      :ddi-kernel-ioctl
>                      :ddi-failfast-supported
>                      :pm-hardware-state         needs-suspend-resume
>                      :pm-components    (de0000046eTBL)
>                       | NAME=spindle-motor |
>                       | 0=off |
>                       | 1=on |
>                      :lba-access-ok
>                      :inquiry-serial-no         3QF0EAFP
>                      :devfs-path        /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/pci10de,[EMAIL
> PROTECTED]
> /pci1000,[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL PROTECTED],0
>                      :driver-name       sd
>                      :binding-name      scsiclass,00
>                      :bus-addr  0,0
>                      :instance  3
>                      :_class    block
>                      :name      sd
>

> hth,
> James
> --

I don't know that that necessarily makes it *EASY* to find the drive,
especially if they're in a hot-swap bay.  Something like an "led_on" type
command would be helpful.  Whether that be through sending IO to the drive
to light up an activity LED, or through other means.

--Tim