On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 10:40, Scara Maccai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Still don't understand why even the one on http://www.opensolaris.com/, "ZFS
> – A Smashing Hit", doesn't show the app running in the moment the HD is
> smashed... weird...
ZFS is primarily about protecting your data: correctness, at the
expense of everything else if necessary.  It happens to be very fast
under most circumstances, but if a disk vanishes like a sledgehammer
hit it, ZFS will wait on the device driver to decide it's dead.
Device drivers are generally the same way, choosing correctness over
speed.  Thus, ZFS can take a while to notice that a disk is gone and
do something about it---but in the meantime, it won't make any
promises it can't keep.

This is to be regarded as a Good Thing.  If a disk fails and ZFS
throws away all of my data as a result I'm not going to be happy; if a
disk fails and ZFS takes 30 seconds to notice I'm still happy with
that.

That said, there have been several threads about wanting configurable
device timeouts handled at the ZFS level rather than the device driver
level.  Perhaps this will be implemented at some point... but in the
meantime I prefer correctness to availability.

Will