Darren,

Perhaps I misspoke when I said that it wasn't about cost. It is _partially_
about cost.

Monetary cost of drives isn't a major concern. At about $110-150 each.
Loss of efficiency (mirroring 50%), zraid1 (25%), is a concern.
Expense of sata bays, either in a single chassis or an external chassis is a
concern.
Expense of replacing entire pool sets of disks to grow is a concern.

At this point zraid seems to be my only choice if I want 3TB of actual space. I
may gain some benefit by using compression.

Windows Home Server doesn't help me because I want xvm, iscsi and nfs. But the
'features' of WHS do approximate this fantasy setup I outlined.

Mirroring:

Let me see if I'm understanding your suggestion. A stripe of mirrored pairs. I
can grow by resizing an existing mirrored pair, or just attaching another
mirrored pair to the stripe?

This gives me growth capability at the cost of 50% disk capacity and requiring
a large amount of sata ports/bays.

I'm still holding out for an answer to my original question. :)