> However, I notice that when using ZFS on Indiana the above commands fail
> with the following error:
>
>    File system doesn't support aclent_t style ACL's.
>    See acl(5) for more information on ACL styles support by Solaris.
>
> What is the appropriate command to use with ZFS?

You can use pathconf() with _PC_ACL_ENABLED to determine what flavor of
ACL the file system supports.

check out these links.

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-5167/fpathconf-2?a=view
http://blogs.sun.com/alvaro/entry/detecting_the_acl_type_you

The example in the blog isn't quite correct.  The returned value is a
bit mask, and it is possible for a file system to support multiple ACL
flavors.

Here is an example of pathconf() as used in acl_strip(3sec)

http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/lib/libsec/common/aclutils.c#390

   -Mark