Over the weekend, I installed opensolaris 2008.11 onto a removable harddisk on
my laptop (having previously removed the zfs bootable snv_103 imaged
harddrive). - side note: opensolaris could do with a companion cd as it takes a
long long time to install the usefull/essential software from the repository
:-( .

Having installed opensolaris 2008.11 I thought I might try to mount the zfs
bootable snv_103 drive and copy all the data over (i.e. in a similar way to
when I moved from ufs to zfs boot, a while back).

I struggled to be able to mount the old disk and as I had to do some 'proper
work' removed the opensolaris 2008.11 harddisk and put back the snv_103
harddisk.

All worked fine, as before.

When I later found some time, I tried to mount the opensolaris 2008.11
harddrive (now in a usb caddy) from the booted snv_103 drive, by entering:

zpool import -f rpool

It complained about stuff being already mounted but sure enough I could still
see the original pool 'rootpool' of snv_103 and the pool 'rpool' of opensolaris
2008.11 image got some sort of mention as well, when I did 'zfs list' and I
could still see my familiar snv_103 home directory.

A reboot soon changed all of that :-(

On booting it comes up with:
.
.
.
Reading ZFS config: done
Mounting ZFS filesystems: (1/6)cannot mount '/' : directory is not enpty
(6/6)
svc:/system/filesystem/local/:default: WARNING: /usr/sbin/zfs mount -a
failed exit status 1

I get a login prompt and can login ok.

Typing 'zpool status' returns
pool: rootpool
state: ONLINE
scrub: none requested
config:

        NAME            STATE   READ    WRITE   CKSUM
        rootpool          ONLINE  0            0            0
        c0d0s0           ONLINE  0            0            0

errors: No known data errors

There is no mention of opensolaris pool 'rpool' (attached on usb drive).

'zfs list' gives:
                                       USED    AVAIL   REFER   MOUNTPOINT
rootpool                           78.6G    191G    37k     /
rootpool/ROOT                18.7G    191G    18k     /ROOT
rootpool/ROOT/zfs_103    3.81G   191G    11.3G   /.alt.tmp.b-iR.mnt/
rootpool/ROOT/zfs_104    14.9G   191G    9.34G   /
rootpool/dump                  3.25G   191G    3.25G   -
rootpool/home                  50.3G   191G    41.9G   /export/home
rootpool/swap                  3.43G   191G    105M    -
rootpool/u01                     2.84G   191G    2.78G   /u01

Also swapping the opensolaris 2008.11 harddisk into the laptop drive bay no
longer boots up opensolaris 2008.11 either.

How do I get back to a bootable system e.g. what zfs or
zpool commands will get me out of this hole - before I dig myself in
deeper.

Thanks for your time.