Brad Hudson wrote:
> Thanks for the response Peter.  However, I'm not looking to create a
> different boot environment (bootenv).  I'm actually looking for a way within
> JumpStart to separate out the ZFS filesystems from a new installation to have
> better control over quotas and reservations for applications that usually run
> rampant later.  In particular, I would like better control over the following
> (e.g. the ability to explicitly create them at install time):

Whether you want a bootenv or not, that command, and syntax) is the only
way to specify to jumpstart to both use ZFS instead of UFS, and to
customize how it's intalled (it's option to split out /var is,
unfortunately, the only FS that can be split at the moment.)

You're not the first to lament over this fact, but I wouldn't hold your
breath for any improvements, since JumpStart is not really being
actively improved anylonger. Sun is instead focusing on it's replacement
'AI', which is currently being developed and used on OpenSolaris, and I
beleive is intended to replace JS on Sun Solaris at some undefined time
in the future.

At the moment I don't beleive that AI has the features you're looking
for either - It has quite a few other differences from JS too, if you
think you'll use it, you should keep tabs on the project pages, and
mailing lists.
> rpool/opt - /opt
> rpool/usr - /usr
> rpool/var - /var
> rpool/home - /home
>
> Of the above /home can easily be created post-install, but the others need to
> have the flexibility of being explicitly called out in the JumpStart profile
> from the initial install to provide better ZFS accounting/controls.

It's not hard to create /opt, or /var/xyz ZFS filesystems, and move
files into them during post install, or first boot even, then mve the
originals, and set the zfs mountpoints to where the originals are. This
even give you the advantage of enabling compression (since all the data
will be rewritten and thus compressed.) /usr is harder. Might not be
impossible in a finish script, but probably much harder in a first-boot
script.

All that said, if you're planning on using live upgrade (or snap upgrade
on OS) after installation is done, I'm not sure if they'll just 'Do the
right thing' (or even work at all) with these other filesystems as they
clone and upgrade the new BE's. My bet would be no.

   -Kyle