I'm using zfs not to have access to a fail-safe backed up system, but to easily
manage my file system. I would like to be able to, as I buy new harddrives,
just to be able to replace the old ones.  I'm very environmentally concious, so
I don't want to leave old drives in there to consume power as they've already
been replaced by larger ones. However, ZFS doesn't currently let me detach a
non-mirrored device.  Is this planned for the future at all? I would imagine
something like this:

zpool detach --non-mirrored dev ...
   detaching non-mirrored dev... wait for data to be copied

or even

zpool detach --non-mirrored dev ...
   detaching non-mirrored dev... there's not sufficient space to be able to
remove dev

etc.

I hope my explanation is clear in that obviously the data would have to be
copied, possibly to the new drive I've added, as I want to remove the old one.