On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 10:23 AM, <cindy.swearin...@sun.com> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> Sorry, I missed the 1.5 TB disk/boot issue previously.
>
> A project is underway to provide booting for disks that are large
> than 1 TB. This project is outside of a future project to provide
> booting from an EFI-labeled disk.
>
> I agree that your best approach is to attach your second 500-GB disk
> to create a mirrored root pool and save the 1.5 TB disk for another
> day or another pool. You will be able to replace the 500-GB mirrored
> root pool with the 1.5 TB when booting from it is supported.
>
> What I'm thinking is that you will be able to upgrade your root pool
> with a release that supports booting from a 1.5 TB disk, then do
> the disk replacement.
>
> Cindy

Since I've heard differing stories over time: Is the EFI boot limitation a
limitation of PC BIOS, or is it somewhere in the software stack?  Or I
suppose the third options is that it's a limitation of PC BIOS that can be
overcome with some software hacks.

>From what I recall, itanium systems and apple systems have no issues booting
from an EFI label.  I would assume this may apply to sparc based systems as
well since they're also running OBP (like apple).

Thoughts?

--Tim