I followed Anton's idea but didn't see any difference.

My tests were repetitive PostMark runs, and each run was different. For
instance, I didn't let PostMark delete the files once it finished, deleted the
odd numbered ones by hand, put the rest in a different directory, re-run
PostMark that failed on some operations due to lack of free space etc.

All these runs created more than half a TB of writes on a 72 GB volume.

I don't want to make conclusions like "X is better than Y", I just wan't to
verify whether aging substantially impacts recovery, I'm not interested in how
much it does. And of course, the test environment is the same for all runs.

My problems are 2:

1) I don't know how to properly age a file-system. As already said, I need
traces of a decade's workload to properly do this, and to the best of my
knowledge there is no easy way to do this automatically.

2) I know very little of ZFS. To be honest, I have no idea what to expect.
Maybe I'm doing aging the wrong way or ZFS suffers from aging when is has to
allocate blocks for writes/updates and not on recovery.

Anyway, I've talked to my professor and told me not to investigate this any
more.

I have a 2 page draft of my report, just tell me if you want to have a look at
it.

Thanx for your help.