On Wed, 24 Dec 2008, Orvar Korvar wrote:

> I was thinking of this plan:
>
> Unconnect one 500 GB drive from ZFSraid1. Now it only has 3 drives
> (slots: 0-2), but that doesnt matter because I can still read the data,
> because it is configured as raidz1. There are 5 empty SATA slots on the
> SATA card now. Slot 3 is now emptied.
>
> Connect 5 terabyte drives to the empty slots, and create a ZFS raid.
> copy all data from the 3 drives unto these 5 drives. Done.

Why not plug one new drive into slot 4, partition it in 2 halves.  Fill
the other 3 slots with 3 new drives.  create a raidz with the 5 new vdevs.
ZFS send from the old to the new.  Remove the old drives entirely.

Add the final new drives, replace one of the halves of slot 4 with the new
disk.  I'm not sure if you can get away with a replace of a slice to a
device for the last step, but if you can't you sacrifice one of the old
drives at this point, replace the slice with the other device, then
replace back to the new full disk.

If this last replace step works, then you never need to fiddle with the
old drives, so you're well protected against failures while
configuring the new drives.  Even if it doesn't, you don't destroy any of
the old data until it is in a new configuration than can withstand the
loss of any one device

-- Dave