On 12/29/2008 8:20 PM, Tim wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Torrey McMahon <tmcmah...@yahoo.com
> <mailto:tmcmah...@yahoo.com>> wrote:
>

>     There are some mainframe filesystems that do such things. I think
>     there
>     was also an STK array - Iceberg[?] - that had similar functionality.
>     However, why would you use ZFS on top of HDP? If the filesystem
>     lets you
>     grow dynamically, and the OS let's you add storage dynamically or grow
>     the LUNs when the array does....what does HDP get you?
>
>     Serious question as I get asked it all the time and I can't come
>     up with
>     a good answer outside of procedural things such as, "We don't like to
>     bother the storage guys" or, "We thin provision everything no
>     matter the
>     app/fs/os" or <choose your own adventure>.
>

> Assign your database admin who swears he needs 2TB day one a 2TB lun.
> And 6 months from now when he's really only using 200GB, you aren't
> wasting 1.8TB of disk on him.

I run into the same thing but once I say, "I can add more space without
downtime" they tend to smarten up. Also, ZFS will not reuse blocks in a,
for lack of better words, economical fashion. If you throw them a 2TB
LUN ZFS will allocate blocks all over the LUN when they're only using a
small fraction.

Unless you have, as the original poster mentioned, a "empty block
reclaim" you'll have problems. UFS can show the same results btw.