Bernd Finger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After I published a blog entry about installing OpenSolaris 2008.11 on a
> USB stick, I read a comment about a possible issue with wearing out
> blocks on the USB stick after some time because ZFS overwrites its
> uberblocks in place.

The flash controllers used on solid state disks implement wear leveling,
to ensure hot blocks don't prematurely wear out on the flash device.
Wear leveling will move hot logical blocks around in the physical flash
memory, so one part doesn't wear out much faster than the rest of it.

I would presume flash on USB sticks does something similar, but I don't
know that for sure.

--
Andrew