Hi Bob.

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>> Here is the current example - can anyone with deeper knowledge tell me
>> if these are reasonable values to start with?
>
> Everything depends on what you are planning do with your NFS access. For
> example, the default blocksize for zfs is 128K.  My example tests
> performance when doing I/O with small 8K blocks (like a database), which
> will severely penalize zfs configured for 128K blocks.
> [...]

My plans don't count in here, I need to optimize what the users want and
they don't have a clue what they will do in 6 months from now, so I
guess all detailed planning will fail anyway and I'm just searching for
the one size fits almost all...

> My experience with iozone is that it refuses to run on an NFS client of
> a Solaris server using ZFS since it performs a test and then refuses to
> work since it says that the filesystem is not implemented correctly.
> Commenting a line of code in iozone will get over this hurdle.  This
> seems to be a religious issue with the iozone maintainer.

Interesting, I've been running this on a Linux client accessing a ZFS
file system from one of our Thumpers without any source modifications
and problems.

Cheers

Carsten