I ran into a bad label causing this once.
Usually the s2 slice is a good bet for your whole disk device, but if it's EFI
labeled, you need to use p0 (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).
I like to zero the first few megs of a drive before doing any of this stuff.
This will destroy any data.
Obviously, change "<span style="font-family: monospace;">c7t1d0p0</span>" to
whatever your drive's device is.
bs=512 count=8192</span>
For EFI you may also need to zero the end of the disk too because it writes the
VTOC to both the beginning and end for redundancy.   I'm not sure of the best
way to get the drive size in blocks without using format(1M) so I'll leave that
as an exercise for the reader.    For my 500gb disks it was something like:
976533504 is $number_of_blocks (from format) - 8192 (4mb in 512 byte blocks).
bs=512 count=8192 seek=976533504</span>
When you run format -> fdisk, it should prompt you to write a new Solaris label
to the disk.    Just accept all the defaults.
Remember to double-check your devices and wait a beat before pressing enter
with those dd commands as they destroy without warning or checking.