On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 01:35:22PM -0600, Tim wrote:
> > > Are you telling me zfs is deficient to the point it can't handle basic
> > > right-sizing like a 15$ sata raid adapter?
> >
> > How do there $15 sata raid adapters solve the problem? The more details you
> > could provide the better obviously.
>
> They short stroke the disk so that when you buy a new 500GB drive that isn't
> the exact same number of blocks you aren't screwed.  It's a design choice to
> be both sane, and to make the end-users life easier.  You know, sort of like
> you not letting people choose their raid layout...

Drive vendors, it would seem, have an incentive to make their "500GB" drives
as small as possible. Should ZFS then choose some amount of padding at the
end of each device and chop it off as insurance against a slightly smaller
drive? How much of the device should it chop off? Conversely, should users
have the option to use the full extent of the drives they've paid for, say,
if they're using a vendor that already provides that guarantee?

> You know, sort of like you not letting people choose their raid layout...

Yes, I'm not saying it shouldn't be done. I'm asking what the right answer
might be.

Adam

--
Adam Leventhal, Fishworks                     http://blogs.sun.com/ahl