On Mon, Jan 19 at 23:14, Greg Mason wrote:
>So, what we're looking for is a way to improve performance, without
>disabling the ZIL, as it's my understanding that disabling the ZIL
>isn't exactly a safe thing to do.
>
>We're looking for the best way to improve performance, without
>sacrificing too much of the safety of the data.
>
>The current solution we are considering is disabling the cache
>flushing (as per a previous response in this thread), and adding one
>or two SSD log devices, as this is similar to the Sun storage
>appliances based on the Thor. Thoughts?

In general principles, the evil tuning guide states that the ZIL
should be able to handle 10 seconds of expected synchronous write
workload.

To me, this implies that it's improving burst behavior, but
potentially at the expense of sustained throughput, like would be
measured in benchmarking type runs.

If you have a big JBOD array with say 8+ mirror vdevs on multiple
controllers, in theory, each VDEV can commit from 60-80MB/s to disk.
Unless you are attaching a separate ZIL device that can match the
aggregate throughput of that pool, wouldn't it just be better to have
the default behavior of the ZIL contents being inside the pool itself?

The best practices guide states that the max ZIL device size should be
roughly 50% of main system memory, because that's approximately the
most data that can be in-flight at any given instant.

"For a target throughput of X MB/sec and given that ZFS pushes
transaction groups every 5 seconds (and have 2 outstanding), we also
expect the ZIL to not grow beyond X MB/sec * 10 sec. So to service
100MB/sec of synchronous writes, 1 GBytes of log device should be
sufficient."

But, no comments are made on the performance requirements of the ZIL
device(s) relative to the main pool devices.  Clicking around finds
this entry:

http://blogs.sun.com/perrin/entry/slog_blog_or_blogging_on

...which appears to indicate cases where a significant number of ZILs
were required to match the bandwidth of just throwing them in the pool
itself.

--eric

--
Eric D. Mudama