Yes. I have disconnected the bad disk and booted with nothing in the slot, and
also with known good replacement disk in on the same sata port. Doesn't change
anything.

Running 2008.11 on the box and 2008.11 snv_101b_rc2 on the LiveCD. I'll give it
a shot booting from the latest build and see if that makes any kind of
difference.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Brad