On Sat, February 7, 2009 14:32, Alan.M.Wright wrote:
>>> Also, does this end up taking up extra metadata space compared to not
>>> having to have an ACL entry for each file?
>
> No, ZFS only stores ACLs.  It doesn't have or store a separate
> representation of the UNIX permissions bits.

So I won't worry about it.  I still worry when I see 11 ACL entries,
though; if only that I can't read through it and accurately tell what it
will do!

> If you set traditional UNIX-like permissions on a ZFS file/directory,
> ZFS sets the ACL to represents those permissions.

I've certainly seen that happen; a change made in ACL syntax can result in
the unix permission bits changing, in ways that represent the resulting
ACL permissions.

Sometimes I end up with Unix permissions of all dashes, though, when the
ACL actually allows quite a lot of access.  That's confusing.  But if it
allows the access I want, I can probably learn to stop worrying about it.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info