Sriram,

On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 12:04:22AM +0530, Sriram Narayanan wrote:
> >From the presentation "ZFS - The last word in filesystems", Page 22
>       "In a multi-disk pool, ZFS survives any non-consecutive disk failures"
>
> Questions:
> If I have a 3 disk RAIDZ with disks A, B and C, then:
> - if disk b fails, then will I be able to continue to read data if
> disks A and C are still available ?

Yes, with RAIDZ, ZFS can sustain with 1 disk failure.

> If I have a 4 disk RAIDZ with disks A, B, C, and D, then:
> - if disks a and b fail, then I won't be able to read from the mirror
> any more. Is this understanding correct ?

Since, this is a RAIDZ configuration, it can sustain upto one disk failure.
So, answer is "no".

RAIDZ is similar to RAID-5 wrt to redundancy.

> - if disks a and c fail, then I will be be able to read from disks b
> and d. Is this understanding correct ?

Same as above.

However, if you had configured it as RAIDZ-2 then it can sustain upto 2 disk
failures.

The other option would be configure it as mirrored pool. And this too can
sustain 2 disk failures (one in each mirror device).

Hope that helps.

Thanks and regards,
Sanjeev