Robert Milkowski wrote:
Hello Asif,

Wednesday, February 18, 2009, 1:28:09 AM, you wrote:

AI> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Robert Milkowski <mi...@task.gda.pl> wrote:
Hello Asif,

AI> Hi All

AI> Does anyone have any experience on running qmail on solaris 10 with ZFS
only?

AI> I would appreciate if you share your findings, suggestion and gotchas

It just works.

AI> Is there any performance penalty over ufs ?

I did some testing years ago and I honestly do not remember -
nevertheless we migrated to ZFS so either it wasn't slower or it was
faster.

I run exim (which is a pretty similar sort of MTA) on 2-3 year old x4200's with ZFS mirrored on local SAS drives. These perform better than they did with UFS due to the L2ARC. I have two of these. Each one manages to process around 300-500K inbound messages per day quite easily with Spamassassin running on them as well. Spec is dual dual core Opteron with
4 GB RAM.  4 x 73 GB 10K 2.5 SAS disks.

As I think Tony mentioned, the best thing to do is to test with your specific workload. I don't think you will see a drop in performance at all. (and you will gain so many other lovely things that ZFS brings ;))