On Sun, February 22, 2009 23:38, Frank Cusack wrote:
> On February 22, 2009 10:05:57 PM -0600 David Dyer-Bennet <d...@dd-b.net>
> wrote:
>> I've got this pretty definite problem with zfs receive -d; I've posted
>> examples before, but here's the cleanest one so far.  This shows
>> carefully
>> what's where, and shows that zfs receive -d first refuses to receive
>> because the filesystem *doesn't* exist, and then because it *does* (and
>> that it didn't come into existence in between).  One of those should
>> have
>> worked!  (The one where it does exist should have worked, based on the
>> docs and some other experiments.)
>
> It does sound like a bug, but in practice is this actually a problem
> for you?  Just use -F.

I left a test of that running last night, but didn't have a chance to
check this morning.  However, the problem I was having before hits
immediately, and with -F it ran for hours, so I'm at least not having the
same problem.  I was planning to list -F as a workaround in the bug
report, in fact.

I view using -F  with some concern, though, because if I point it at the
wrong backup volume with -F it will happily overwrite the previous backups
and all the snapshots that are already there for this filesystem.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info