On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Christopher Mera <cm...@reliantsec.net> wrote:
> Thanks for your responses..
>
> Brent:
> And I'd have to do that for every system that I'd want to clone?  There
> must be a simpler way.. perhaps I'm missing something.
>

> Regards,
> Chris

Well, unless the database software itself can "notice" a snapshot
taking place, and flush all data to disk, pause transactions until the
snapshot is finished, then properly resume, I don't know what to tell
you.
It's an issue for all databases, Oracle, MSSQL, MySQL... how to do an
atomic backup, without stopping transactions, and maintaining
consistency.
Replication is on possible solution, dumping to a file periodically is
one, or just tolerating that your database will not be consistent
after a snapshot and have to replay logs / consistency check it after
bringing it up from a snapshot.

Once you figure that out in a filesystem agnostic way, you'll be a
wealthy person indeed.

--
Brent Jones
br...@servuhome.net