On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Tim <t...@tcsac.net> wrote:
> Of course it does.  Competition directly affects the features provided on
> everyone in a market segment's products.

The server and workstation market demands ECC. Any die that would be
used in the server or workstation market would need to have ECC.

> The fact Intel put a memory controller on die is PROOF that AMD has a direct
> effect on their product roadmap.  Do you think Intel would have willingly
> killed off their lucrative northbridge chipset business without AMD forcing
> their hand?  Please.

Intel moved to on-die memory controller because the front side bus
architecture was becoming a bottleneck as the number of cores
increased.

The fact that AMD's chips already have an on-die controller certainly
influenced Intel's direction - I'm not disputing that. The fact of the
matter is that an on-die MC is an efficient way to to have high
bandwidth and low latency access to memory. The IBM POWER 6 has on-die
memory controllers as well, which is less likely to be due to any
market pressure caused by AMD since the two firms' products don't
directly compete. It's just a reasonable engineering decision.

-B

--
Brandon High : bh...@freaks.com