On Mar 6, 2009, at 8:58 AM, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Jim Dunham wrote:
ZFS the filesystem is always on disk consistent, and ZFS does maintain filesystem consistency through coordination between the ZPL (ZFS POSIX Layer) and the ZIL (ZFS Intent Log). Unfortunately for SNDR, ZFS caches a lot of an applications filesystem data in the ZIL, therefore the data is in memory, not written to disk, so SNDR does not know this data exists. ZIL flushes to disk can be seconds behind the actual application writes completing, and if SNDR is running asynchronously, these replicated writes to the SNDR secondary can be additional seconds behind the actual application writes.

Unlike UFS filesystems and lockfs -f, or lockfs -w, there is no 'supported' way to get ZFS to empty the ZIL to disk on demand.

I'm wondering if you really meant ZIL here, or ARC?

In either case, creating a snapshot should get both flushed to disk, I think? (If you don't actually need a snapshot, simply destroy it immediately afterwards.)

not sure if there's another way to trigger a full flush or lockfs, but to make sure you do have all transactions that may not have been flushed from the ARC you could just unmount the filesystem or export the zpool .. with the latter, then you wouldn't have to worry about the "-f" on the import

---
.je