From: Erik Trimble <erik.trim...@sun.com>
To: Grant Lowe <gl...@sbcglobal.net>
Cc: zfs-discuss@opensolaris.org
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 1:42:06 PM
Subject: Re: [zfs-discuss] ZFS on a SAN

I'm not 100% sure what your question here is, but let me give you a
(hopefully) complete answer:

(1) ZFS is NOT a clustered file system, in the sense that it is NOT
possible for two hosts to have the same LUN mounted at the same time,
even if both are hooked to a SAN and can normally see that LUN.

(2) ZFS can do failover, however.  If you have a LUN from a SAN on
hostA, create a ZFS pool in it, and use as normal.  Should you with to
failover the LUN to hostB, you need to do a 'zpool export <zpool>' on
hostA, then 'zpool import <zpool>' on hostB.  If hostA has been lost
completely (hung/died/etc) and you are unable to do an 'export' on it,
you can force the import on hostB via 'zpool import -f <zpool>'

ZFS requires that you import/export entire POOLS, not just filesystems.
So, given what you seem to want, I'd recommend this:

On the SAN, create (2) LUNs - one for your primary data, and one for
your snapshots/backups.

On hostA, create a zpool on the primary data LUN (call it zpool A), and
another zpool on the backup LUN (zpool B).  Take snapshots on A, then
use 'zfs send' and 'zfs receive' to copy the clone/snapshot over to
zpool B. then 'zpool export B'

On hostB, import the snapshot pool:  'zfs import B'

It might just be as easy to have two independent zpools on each host,
and just do a 'zfs send' on hostA, and 'zfs receive' on hostB to copy
the snapshot/clone over the wire.

-Erik

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 13:18 -0700, Grant Lowe wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm new on ZFS, so I hope this isn't too basic a question.  I have a host
> where I setup ZFS.  The Oracle DBAs did their thing and I know have a number
> of ZFS datasets with their respective clones and snapshots on serverA.  I
> want to export some of the clones to serverB.  Do I need to zone serverB to
> see the same LUNs as serverA?  Or does it have to have preexisting, empty
> LUNs to import the clones?  Please help.  Thanks.

Erik Trimble
Java System Support
Mailstop:  usca22-123
Phone:  x17195