>>>>> "maj" == Maidak Alexander J <maidakalexand...@johndeere.com> writes:

   maj> If you're having issues with a disk contoller or disk IO
   maj> driver its highly likely that a savecore to disk after the
   maj> panic will fail.  I'm not sure how to work around this

not in Solaris, but as a concept for solving the problem:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/kdump/kdump.txt;h=3f4bc840da8b7c068076dd057216e846e098db9f;hb=4a6908a3a050aacc9c3a2f36b276b46c0629ad91

They load a second kernel into a reserved spot of RAM, like 64MB or
so, and forget about it.  After a crash, they boot the second kernel.
The second kernel runs using the reserved area of RAM as its working
space, not touching any other memory, as if you were running on a very
old machine with tiny RAM.  It reprobes all the hardware, and then
performs the dump.  I don't know if it actually works, but the
approach is appropriate if you are trying to debug the storage stack.
You could even have a main kernel which crashes while taking an
ordinary coredump, and then use the backup dumping-kernel to coredump
the main kernel in mid-coredump---a dump of a dumping kernel.

I think some Solaris developers were discussing putting coredump
features into Xen, so the host could take the dump (or, maybe even
something better than a dump---for example, if you built host/target
debugging features into Xen for debugging running kernels, then you
could just force a breakpoint in the guest instead of panic.  Since
Xen can hibernate domU's onto disk (it can, right?), you can treat the
hibernated Xen-specific representation of the domU as the-dump,
groveling through the ``dump'' with the same host/target tools you
could use on a running kernel without any special dump support in the
debugger itself).  IIRC NetBSD developers discussed the same idea
years ago but neither implementation exists.