On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 22:24:12 -0400
Miles Nordin <car...@ivy.net> wrote:

>     >>     * SR = Software RAID IT = Integrate. Target mode. IR mode
>     >> is not supported.
>     wm> Integrated target mode lets you export some storage attached
>     wm> to the host system (through another adapter, presumably) as a
>     wm> storage device.  IR mode is almost certainly Internal RAID,
>     wm> which that card doesn't have support for.
>
> no, the supermicro page for AOC-USAS-L8i does claim support for all
> three, and supermicro has an ``IR driver'' available for download for
> Linux and Windows, or at least a link to one.
>
> I'm trying to figure out what's involved in determining and switching
> modes, why you'd want to switch them, what cards support which modes,
> which solaris drivers support which modes, u.s.w.
>
> The answer may be very simple, like ``the driver supports only IR.
> Most cards support IR, and cards that don't support IR won't work.  IR
> can run in single-LUN mode.  Some IR cards support RAID5, others
> support only RAID 0, 1, 10.''  Or it could be ``the driver supports
> only SR.  The driver is what determines the mode, and it does this by
> card is always for the driver to load in a firmware blob.  All
> currently-produced cards support SR.''  so...actually, now that I say
> it, I guess the answer cannot be very simple.  It's going to have to
> be a little complicated.
> Anyway, I can guess, too.  I was hoping someone would know for sure
> off-hand.

Hi Miles,
the mpt(7D) driver supports that card. mpt(7D) supports both
IT and IR firmware variants. You can find out the specifics
for what RAID volume levels are supported by reading the
raidctl(1M) manpage. I don't think you can switch between IT
and IR firmware, but not having needed to know this before,
I haven't tried it.

James C. McPherson
--
Senior Kernel Software Engineer, Solaris
Sun Microsystems