Hi all,

I was just reading
http://blogs.sun.com/dap/entry/zfs_compression

and would like to know what the experience of people is about enabling
compression in ZFS.

In principle I don't think it's a bad thing, especially not when the
CPUs are fast enough to improve the performance as the hard drives might
be too slow. However, I'm missing two aspects:

o what happens when a user opens the file and does a lot of seeking
inside the file? For example our scientists use a data format where
quite compressible data is contained in stretches and the file header
contains a dictionary where each stretch of data starts. If these files
are compressed on disk, what will happen with ZFS? Will it just make
educated guesses, or does it have to read all of the typically 30-150 MB
of the file and then does the seeking from buffer caches?

o Another problem I see (but probably isn't): A user is accessing a file
via a NFS-exported ZFS, appending a line of text, closing the file (and
hopefully also flushing everything correctly. However, then the user
opens it again appends another line of text, ... Imagine this happening
a few times per second. How will ZFS react to this pattern? Will it only
opens the final record of the file, uncompress it, adds data,
recompresses it, flushes it to disk and reports that back to the user's
processes? Is there a potential problem here?

Cheers (and sorry if these questions are stupid ones)

Carsten