On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Dennis Clarke wrote:

However, I have repeatedly run into problems when I need to boot after a
power failure. I see vdevs being marked as FAULTED regardless if there are
actually any hard errors reported by the on disk SMART Firmware. I am able
to remove these FAULTed devices temporarily and then re-insert the same
disk again and then run fine for months. Until the next long power
failure.

In spite of huge detail, you failed to describe to us the technology used to communicate with these disks. The interface adaptors, switches, and wiring topology could make a difference.

Is there *really* a severe fault in that disk ?

# luxadm -v display 21000018625d599d

This sounds some some sort of fiber channel.

Transport protocol: IEEE 1394 (SBP-2)

Interesting that it mentions the protocol used by FireWire.

If you are using fiber channel, the device names in the pool specification suggest that Solaris multipathing is not being used (I would expect something long like c4t600A0B800039C9B500000A9C47B4522Dd0). If multipathing is not used, then you either have simplex connectivity, or two competing simplex paths to each device. Multipathing is recommended if you have redundant paths available.

If the disk itself is not aware of its severe faults then that suggests that there is a transient problem with communicating with the disk. The problem could be in a device driver, adaptor card, FC switch, or cable. If the disk drive also lost power, perhaps the disk is unusually slow at spinning up.

It is easy to blame ZFS for problems. On my system I was experiencing system crashes overnight while running 'zfs scrub' via cron job. The fiber channel card was locking up. Eventually I learned that it was due to a bug in VirtualBox's device driver. If VirtualBox was not left running overnight, then the system would not crash.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn