<peter.trib...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> zpool add tank raidz1 disk_1 disk_2 disk_3 ...
>>
>> (The syntax is just like creating a pool, only with add instead of
create.)

> so I can add individual disks to the existing tank zpool anytime i want?

Using the command above that Peter gave you would get you a result
similar to this

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        storage2    ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad16    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad14    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad10    ONLINE       0     0     0
            ad12    ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz1    ONLINE       0     0     0
            da2     ONLINE       0     0     0
            da0     ONLINE       0     0     0
            da1     ONLINE       0     0     0
            da3     ONLINE       0     0     0

The actual setup is a RAIDZ1 of 1.5TB drives and a RAIDZ1 of 500GB
drives with the data striped across the two RAIDZs.  In your case it
would be 7 drives in each RAIDZ based on what you said before but I
don't have *that* much money for my home file server.

> so essentially you're tleling me to keep it at raidz1 (not raidz2 as
> many people usually stress when getting up to a certain # of disks,
> like 8 or so most people start bringing it up a lot)

This really depends on how valuable your data is.  Richard Elling has a
lot of great information about MTTDL here
http://blogs.sun.com/relling/tags/mttdl