Jonathan schrieb:
OpenSolaris Forums wrote:
if you have a snapshot of your files and rsync the same files again,
you need to use "--inplace" rsync option , otherwise completely new
blocks will be allocated for the new files. that`s because rsync will
write entirely new file and rename it over the old one.

ZFS will allocate new blocks either way

No it won't. --inplace doesn't rewrite blocks identical on source and target but only blocks which have been changed.

I use rsync to synchronize a directory with a few large files (each up to 32 GB). Data normally gets appended to one file until it reaches the size limit of 32 GB. Before I used --inplace a snapshot needed on average ~16 GB. Now with --inplace it is just a few kBytes.

Daniel