On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 12:43 AM, Andre van Eyssen <an...@purplecow.org>wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Apr 2009, Rince wrote:
>
>  FWIW, I strongly expect live ripping of a SATA device to not panic the
>> disk
>> layer. It explicitly shouldn't panic the ZFS layer, as ZFS is supposed to
>> be
>> "fault-tolerant" and "drive dropping away at any time" is a rather
>> expected
>> scenario.
>>

> Ripping a SATA device out runs a goodly chance of confusing the controller.
> If you'd had this problem with fibre channel or even SCSI, I'd find it a far
> bigger concern. IME, IDE and SATA just don't hold up to the abuses we'd like
> to level at them. Of course, this boils down to controller and enclosure and
> a lot of other random chances for disaster.
>
> In addition, where there is a procedure to gently remove the device, use
> it. We don't just yank disks from the FC-AL backplanes on V880s, because
> there is a procedure for handling this even for failed disks. The five
> minutes to do it properly is a good investment compared to much longer
> downtime from a fault condition arising from careless manhandling of
> hardware.

IDE isn't supposed to do this, but SATA explicitly has hotplug as a
"feature".

(I think this might be SATA 2, so any SATA 1 controllers out there are
hedging your bets, but...)

I'm not advising this as a recommended procedure, but the failure of the
controller isn't my point.

*ZFS* shouldn't panic under those conditions. The disk layer, perhaps, but
not ZFS. As far as it should be concerned, it's equivalent to ejecting a
disk via cfgadm without telling ZFS first, which *IS* a supported operation.

- Rich
--

Procrastination means never having to say you're sorry.