Matty wrote:
Howdy,

We are running one write intensive and one read intensive Java process
on a server, and would like to give preferential I/O treatment to the
read intensive process. There was a discussion a while back about
adding throttling measures to ZFS, and I was curious if this feature
allows you to throttle application I/O? We can implement throttling in
the app, but I am hoping there is a way to throttle applications from
inside the kernel. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Your experience will depend on which version of ZFS you are using.
The write throttle was introduced last summer, as Roch explains here
   http://blogs.sun.com/roch/entry/the_new_zfs_write_throttle

Note: this is also discussed in the Evil Tuning Guide, under the ARC section,
though there are implications elsewhere.
-- richard