On 16-Apr-09, at 5:27 PM, Florian Ermisch wrote:

Uwe Dippel schrieb:
Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

Since it was not reported that user data was impacted, it seems likely that there was a read failure (or bad checksum) for ZFS metadata which is redundantly stored.
(Maybe I am too much of a linguist to not stumble over the wording here.) If it is 'redundant', it is 'recoverable', am I right? Why, if this is the case, does scrub not recover it, and scrub even fails to correct the CKSUM error as long as it is flagged 'unrecoverable', but can do exactly that after the 'clear' command?

Ubuntu Linux is unlikely to notice data problems unless the drive reports hard errors. ZFS is much better at checking for errors.
No doubt. But ext3 also seems to need much less attention, very much fewer commands. Which leaves it as a viable alternative. I still hope that one day ZFS will be maintainable as simple as ext3; respectively do all that maintenance on its own. :)
Ext3 has no (optional) redundancy by using more than one disc and no
volume managment. You need Device Mapper for redundancy (Multiple
Devices or Linux Volume Management) and volume management (LVM again).

And you'll still be lacking checksumming and self healing.

--Toby

If you want such features on Linux Ext3 is the top of at least 2,
probably 3 layers of storage managment.
Should I add NFS, CIFS and iSCSI exports or the needlessness of resizing
volumes?

You're comparing a single tool with a whole production line.
Sorry for the flaming but yesterday I spend 4 additional hours at work
with recovery of a xen server with a single error somewhere in it's LVM
causing the virtual servers to freeze.

Uwe

Kind Regards, FLorian