On 19-Apr-09, at 10:38 AM, Uwe Dippel wrote:

casper....@sun.com wrote:
We are back at square one; or, at the subject line.
I did a zpool status -v, everything was hunky dory.
Next, a power failure, 2 hours later, and this is what zpool status -v thinks:

zpool status -v
 pool: rpool
state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
   corruption.  Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible. Otherwise restore the
   entire pool from backup.
  see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
scrub: none requested
config:

   NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
   rpool       ONLINE       0     0     0
     c1d0s0    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

       //etc/svc/repository-boot-20090419_174236

I know, the hord-core defenders of ZFS will repeat for the umpteenth time that I should be grateful that ZFS can NOTICE and inform about the problem.

:-)

The file is created on boot and I assume this was created directly after the boot after the power-failure.

Am I correct in thinking that:
        the last boot happened on 2009/04/19_17:42:36
        the system hasn't reboot since that time

Good guess, but wrong. Another two to go ...   :)

Others might want to repeat that this is not supposed to happen in the first place.

ZFS guarantees that does cannot happen, unless the hardware is bad. Bad means here "the hardware doesn't promise what ZFS believes the hardware promises".

But anything can cause this:

        hardware problems:
                - bad memory
                - bad disk
                - bad disk controller
                - bad power supply

        software problem
                - memory corruption through any odd driver
                - any part of the zfs stack

My memory would still be a hardware problem. I remember a particular case where ZFS continuously found checksums; replacing the power supply fixed that.

Chances are. That Ubuntu as double boot here never finds anything wrong, crashes, etc.

Why should it? It isn't designed to do so.

And again, someone will inform me that this is the beauty of ZFS: That I know of the corruption.

After a scrub, what I see is:

zpool status -v
 pool: rpool
state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
   corruption.  Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible. Otherwise restore the
   entire pool from backup.
  see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
scrub: scrub completed after 0h48m with 1 errors on Sun Apr 19 19:09:26 2009
config:

   NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
   rpool       ONLINE       0     0     1
     c1d0s0    ONLINE       0     0     2

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

       <0xa6>:<0x4f002>

Which file to replace?

Have you thoroughly checked your hardware?

Why are you running a non-redundant pool?

--Toby

Serious, what would a normal user expected to do here? No, I don't have a backup of a file that has recently been created, true, at 17:42 on April 19th. Reinstall? While everything was okay 12 hours ago, after some 30 crashes due to power-failures, that were - until recently - rectified with crashes at boot, Failsafe, reboot. A system that has been going up and down without much hassle for 1.5 years, both on OpenSolaris on UFS and Ubuntu?

(Let's not forget the thread started with my question "Why do I have to Failsafe so frequently after a power failure, to correct a corrupted bootarchive?")

Uwe