Wilkinson, Alex wrote:
Hi all,

In terms of best practices and high performance would it be better to present a
JBOD to an OpenSolaris initiator or a single MetaLUN ?

The scenario is:

I currently have a single 17TB MetaLUN that i am about to present to an
OpenSolaris initiator and it will obviously be ZFS. However, I am constantly
reading that presenting a JBOD and using ZFS to manage the RAID is best
practice ? Im not really sure why ?

If you only present a single lun to ZFS it may not be able to repair any detected errors. ZFS needs mirror, raidz or raidz2 to be able to recover from checksum failure detected errors. It may be able to recover if you use copies=2 or copies=3 but that assumes that the other copies are on a part of the MetaLUN that wasn't damaged as well.

> And isn't that a waste of a high performing RAID array (EMC) ?

That assumes it is actually faster - it might not be.

--
Darren J Moffat