robert.ho...@allatnet.de wrote:
Hi there,

i'm building a small NAS with 5x1TB Disks. The disks contains at the moment
some data, ntfs as the fs and aren't a raid.

Now my im wondering if its possible to add the parity later. So that i add step
by step one disk to the pool. And when i add the last disk, i enable the parity.

(i have only one another 1 tb disk to backup the files)

Thank you for you replies and sorry for my bad english.

Robert Hoppe

You can cheat this was:

create the pool as a raidz1 with 4 1TB disks and a file:

e.g.

# mkfile -n 900g /some/path/here

(make sure the size of this file is SMALLER than your disks, though not much smaller)
this will give you a sparse file on /some/path/here

#  zpool create tank raidz1 c0t0d0 c0t1d0 c0t2d0 c0t3d0 /some/path/here

what you do next is fail the "file" device

# zpool offline tank /some/path/here

This will result in a degraded RAIDZ1 pool.

Go ahead and copy your data over to the pool. When you are finished, add in the last 1TB drive this way:

# zpool replace /some/path/here c0t4d0

You can do something similar for RAIDZ2 pools.

Obviously, you can only have 1 "fake" drive in a RAIDZ1 pool, and 2 "fake" drives in a RAIDZ2 pool.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support